I could watch whale videos all day. They are so soothing and amazing and awesome and fun and calming and funny and beautiful. I am currently watching a baby sperm whale -fearless and playful turning and spinning, exploring the dexterity of his great body in the weightless freedom of oceanic space. It's kind of cute. Oh, and I watched a David Attenborough video before that on blue whales and their enormity. It was great. Technically this is all research, especially because it's on a Kiwi Kids Care for Whales website. I love research. I think I'm going to have a soundtrack for my thesis. It's going to be the sound of Kaikoura ocean (yes I did record the sound of the ocean there) with humpback song and spermwhale clicks. Maybe I'll throw in a few seagulls/albatross.
Watching these videos, how can one not love whales? They loll around and look majestic and then BAM goes the bubble net. Check that one out. Thought humpbacks were all docile and lazy? not quite.
The stories are awesome too. I think I may be writing more about place names and places related to whales than I had originally thought. There are a lot of rocks and land formations that are whale shaped and labeled accordingly. Though I do have to say some of these things are a bit of a stretch. You can basically make the claim that any roundish lump looks like a whale, it's not that hard. There are some formations that definitely look more whale like than others.
I've also decided that I need to go to the Tohorā exhibit. It's in Chicago now until January 15th I think.Might have to go to Chicago. After that it's in Ottawa until next September. I am still kicking myself that I missed it while it was in Boston last summer. I saw the ads and recognized Te Papa's fingerprint logo, but then never could go because it was during the summer, and closed before I could get there. Curses.
I can't leave, I just found a new term - purakau - stories which contain mythological perspectives concerning the nature of reality and human condition. awesome. Now I have to read more about that. And find more books! always more books! LOVE
No comments:
Post a Comment