In case the title wasn't clear enough, I am in Wellington finally! It's quite a relief to be in the place I was supposed to be in a week ago. (It feels like forever though.) I wasn't really sure that I was actually going to get to Wellington until we physically landed at the airport here. The flight was delayed at first, leaving 45 minutes after it was supposed to. (I learned later that irrespective of this ash cloud Jetstar is notorious for delays and issues) I was pretty sure that something was going to go wrong either in Auckland before we left, waiting for the plane to be ready, flying in the air, and landing. Nothing against the pilot's skills but I was half heartedly expecting something to happen, effectively barring me from getting to Wellington again. That sounds rather dreary and dire, but I can't say it wasn't running through my head. I was cautiously hopeful.
I took a taxi to the apartment and met Constantino, the guy who lives in the downstairs part of the apartment I'm living in. He's also the son of the woman I am renting from. I think technically subletting, but it doesn't really matter. I had met him four years ago so there was a vague familiarity about our encounter. He was watching TV and continued to do so for a while as I unpacked and tried to connect to the internet with no success. apparently there is a black hole of internet wireless here necessitating the use of a USB stick thing. I had to later go out and top up which then presented more problems as the wrong SIM card was in my stick....I don't even know. I'm using Constantino's right now thankfully. You pay by the gig here which is different. if you are on a wireless network someone can use up all the internet for the month and then you have to wait until the next month for it to come back. fortunately this system of the USB stick goes around all that. Apparently there is free wireless on Queen's Wharf where I'll be working sometimes so I'll do all my youtube watching and down loading there as that sucks up internet, though I think I'll just skip on the youtube. I can't imagine Harvard having to run on a pay by the gig system. There is so much going on with that network I'd think it would be a nightmare.
I start working a little bit at the Museum of City and Sea tomorrow taking pictures of them and exploring their collections. I also plan on exploring the Wellington Library for useful books tomorrow as it's quite close to the Museum. I think Sunday holds similar activities for me. Monday I have an appointment at Te Papa, the national museum, in their research library which I am hoping proves helpful. Te Papa also has a bunch of stuff I want to explore within the museum. I hope they can share stuff from their whales exhibit, as that would (clearly) be quite useful.
I'd like to say that I am through with jetlag, as I do believe I mostly am, but my current desire to just curl up and take a nap might suggest otherwise. It could also have something to do with the fact I basically woke up this morning at 5 and tossed and turned until 7 at which point I became paranoid about getting to the airport and really got out of bed. To be fair, I did go to bed last night a little after 7:30. oh sleep, how wonderful you are.
I haven't moved around much here in the apartment and now it is cold. I am glad I brought my heavy coat. I was second guessing the decision when I was wandering around Auckland yesterday in little more than a tee shirt, but Wellington is a different beast entirely, and the sun didn't stay for long.
Being back in Wellington is interesting. Perchance I will find the right words to elaborate in a better way more thoroughly later.
No comments:
Post a Comment