Yet I am never around a computer or pen and paper when these moments of inspiration hit, making them seem that much perfect. I was actually composing this post just a few minutes ago in the shower, but now I am sitting on the couch downgraded to simply describing the situation instead of talking about something relevant and useful. Alas I shall try, but just know this was way more awesome in my head.
I keep finding new people to talk to about whales and Māori culture. It's kind of odd. I keep reading the same things about Paikea, Tutunui, Kae, and the use of bone for carvings and meat for food, and then there will be some little gem that represents a new interpretation of the stories and practices or I overhear a conversation elucidating some cultural norm that explains why things are they way they are. People I have talked to have been really helpful and wonderfully nice. I still have somewhat interesting conversations albeit rather superficial with Victoria the wonderful librarian in Te Papa.
I have recently become obsessed with playing solitaire on my iPod. Which is really just the height of pathetic. I mean, I'm here, basically living by myself, and I choose to further isolate myself by constantly playing solitaire. I have become a master though. I have successfully knocked out all 'device' high scores for the deal one unlimited passes and am working on the deal one 3 passes version. I guess I remember playing spider solitaire a lot last time I was here, but for completely different reasons. I don't have the strange feeling of needing to fill time and not having anyone to interact with as I did before sometimes when I got back from work. I have plenty of things to do, like reading, eating, watching a movie, listening to music, walking around, taking photos, making sense of what I'm doing here etc. I was prepared to be lonely here. I was ready to face many hours of having to spend time with myself. I can be quite good at this, or it can drive me a little nuts, depending on the circumstances and surroundings. The fact that the other American girls I have met here have been normal well adjusted people has been great. I hang out with them in some capacity most days - I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of them every single day I've been in Wellington, which upon reflection seems a bit odd, but it's really been quite natural.
Like almost every other one of these posts I have lost the initial drive and don't really want to continue. BUT
Yesterday I met with Anton van Helden. Finally. He is a great guy who was the collections manager for the Tohorā exhibit. He graciously bought me a coffee as I asked him a few questions about the exhibit and his own experiences as a whale guy.
I met a man with frameless glasses and a black fleece on over a dark shirt - he stood taller than I but not by too much. His hair was spiked up top. He didn’t really give the appearance of some crazed scientist (this could have been the case given what I had read about him), just someone who was easy going and had a lot to offer. The guy knows a lot about what is going on.
The idea for the whales exhibit was started when Anton acquired a sperm whale stranded in 1995 or so – getting the whale kind of signed up Te Papa for an exhibit at some point because they had all these bones and had been generously gifted the specimen from the local iwi who technically have ‘ownership’ over the whale. But you can’t actually own a whale in New Zealand because of bureaucratic DOC mandates. This part was kind of unclear, but I intend to further figure out that little loophole in the law.
From the very start, before evne making an exhibit proposal, Anton wanted to make sure that he had the iwi’s permission. Apparently this was a novel concept for everyone involved which seems a little strange given Te Papa’s whole biculturalism bent towards, well, everything. Anton was absolutely sure and unwavering in his need and desire to get the approval of any iwi involved with the species of whales they wanted to get into the exhibit.
Anton’s need for support from the iwi was greatly appreciated by the iwi involved because no one had ever done anything like this before and certainly had never consulted them before putting something up. It was interesting because the exhibit brought a lot of different iwi together to work on the exhibit.
Fortunately, I asked him if it was alright to record the conversation, so I have to go back and pick out bits and pieces that are useful (all of it) and think about it again. HE gave me the names of a few people I should look up, including someone in Vanuatu who has been collecting whale stories. This man is proving hard to find on the internet.
oh my gosh there is a dancing baby hippo on the news. Also, it has taken me an inordinately long time and multiple games of solitaire to write this post.
nouvelle peechas
![]() |
| In Which Basso Meets Baleen |

No comments:
Post a Comment