Friday, July 8, 2011

Photographs

For those of you who might not be super familiar with blogs, or the ability for one to click on most things, I direct your attention to the right of this post, where it says Slideshow.  Feel free to click on any one of the scrolling photos, and it will take you to a web album I have put together of some of the photos I have taken here.  I've saved you the bore of going through me standing adjusting the camera settings, or taking a billion photos to get the right angle of some museum.  There should be captions for most of them as a form of explanation.  Please comment on these as the (lack of) spirit moves you.

In other news I have found some films to watch at the NZ Film Archive not far from where I am about whales and some Māori iwi.  sweet as.  I think I'll do that on Monday as they open at noon and close at 4 or 5 and I'm trying to be productive at the library now at Te Papa for at least another 40 minutes.

I should say that I am trying to read Moby Dick while I am here.    I should also say that I am failing miserably, finding that food, magazines, sleep, libraries, computers, and human contact are all coming in many places ahead of reading that brick, much less lugging it around with me so I can read it in spare minutes.  I do not doubt its literary merit nor engaging plot line, but it's not exactly people magazine.  Or Cosmo, of which I have found an inordinate amount of issues in the flat.  I'd never read it before, much less the Aussie version which seems to be the only kind around.  Anyways.  At least my notebook is looking fuller and marginally academic.

2 comments:

  1. Moby Dick is awesome! It was my travel book in Argentina two years ago. My Dad's old copy from when he was at school has this great footnote in the beginning where Melville lists how to say 'whale' in a bunch of different languages, and it's basically like 'this one is wrong. so is this one. and this one, this one, this one, and this one.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah I think that's about as far as I've gotten. that and call me ishmael. seriously, I better read some on my ride down to Kaikoura

    ReplyDelete